Friday, August 14, 2009

Pics From the Summer part 1

Yosemite! Our first stop in our trip across the country on our way to North Carolina. Pictures really can't do it justice, it was so beautiful. I highly recommend going!














We made sure our trip across the country went through Sedona, Az so we could catch up with Brooke, Sage & Kelli. Our first trip sight-seeing took us to Jerome, a little town northwest of Sedona where Brooke used to live. She took us to lunch at the Haunted Hamburger, a neat little restaurant that was even featured on Rachael Ray's $40 A Day. There was nothing scary about it, but the chocolate cake was to die for!

Also saw all the beautiful sights of Sedona including the different rock formations--all of which have a name: Bell Rock, Courthouse Butte, Chimney Rock, Schnebly Hill, on and on-- all amazing!






Left Arizona and headed to Albaquerque, NM to visit my brother, Josh. Also got to visit the Museum of Natural History & Science... cool!














Fun at the fountains in Malbis, AL




So excited to visit Grandaddy & Grandmother's in Marianna, Fl. We headed down to Port St. Joe one afternoon and had a big time on the beach side and the bay side. You can see below that Trey and Ashlynne had no fear when it came to scooping up hermit crabs (and there were some BIG ones!) or sea urchins.

We met some of their neighbors from down the road who had restored this Model T-- isn't it in perfect condition?!



Thanks to Jeanne & Larry, Ashlynne & I got a wonderful early birthday present, tickets to the 2nd Annual BamaJam! A 3-day music festival with a-list country and alternative acts. Thousands of people attended in Enterprise, Al and we saw acts like Brooks & Dunn, Taylor Swift, Charlie Daniels, George Jones and Kidd Rock and tons of others you probably haven't heard of if you're not a country fan (Ashlynne hadn't either!) We missed the Black Crowes darn it! It just got to be too late that night. But we really hope to go next year and make it an annual event for us too!

By the way, that first picture is of me and J.T., the winner of last season's Survivor. He was right there at the entrance of Bama Jam on the first day signing autographs. I had watched the whole season, but we moved before the finale and I didn't get to see who won. I went out of my way to avoid any spoilers until I could watch that last show online. Who would have thought it'd be J.T. himself who would spoil the ending!

Plus, check out that storm moving in! Taylor Swift's set was that evening and we were drenched!














Here are pics from Ashlynne's 13th birthday party we had at Grandma Mickie & Pop-Pop's. The only thing she really wanted above all else for her party was a birthday cake with fondant icing. You see, she's been watching a lot of Food Network and all those cake challange shows who ALWAYS use the pretty fondant. Except Ashlynne, I say, fondant actually tastes pretty gross. No, no, pleeeaaaase, I want it, it'll be great she says. Ok, fine. Seeing this is going to be one of those 'live & learn' lessons, I order her a small one from a local bakery which she and the baker design together. I also order a bunch of color-coordinating cupcakes that people will actually want to eat. To make a long story short, she agrees it's pretty gross. :-)














These are from Super Hero Night at Chick-fil-A in Daphne, Al
You won't be surprised to hear how excited Trey was to see some of his favorite super heroes, especially Batman! I have to just point out though for those of you looking at the Hulk and thinking, "Man, that's one ugly Hulk character!" Well, we had just come in from some of the outside activities where someone told us the Hulk had gone back inside. The manager told us he'd just gone back to cool off a little but he'd go check. Of course, I say "NO, no, no! We'll see him when he comes out again!" But he insists and out comes the Incredible Melting Hulk....
















Balloon Festival in Foley, Al with Jordan & Ryan


Fun with sand in Gulf Shores

No comments: